Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Press 1 for english

I’ve been there, a customer’s communication system crashes and nothing I do resuscitates it. In desperation I dial the vendor’s tech support line and I get “Bob”. “How may I he`elp y`ou,?” Bob says. I can tell right away Bob is not from Atlanta (or North America for that matter). Now I’m sure Bob is very intelligent; he knows two languages (though English is not his first). The problem is I’m already frustrated and moving closer and closer to panic; I have a customer who can’t be called giving me updates about how much money they’re losing. Bob and I don’t need to waste time trying to figure out what each other is saying. I need Bob to communicate with me clearly and concisely about how to get his company’s product which is my customer's equipment going. I believe it would benefit vendors and their customers if they reflected on these matters when setting up tech support centers. It is not sufficient for techsupport technicians to be proficient with the equipment they support, they must also be able to communicate that knowlede in a meaningful way to the people they are trying to help. I think a good test is for the tech support expert to talk a person who has minimal knowlege of the subject matter through a task (in the language the technician will most commonly support). Technology is evolving so rapidly today; it is impossible for field technicians to be experts on all the makes and models of communication equipment, and network equipment they encounter. Effective tech support is a must.

4 comments:

  1. Tim, I am not impressed with the 'look' of your blog though the content seems good. It's not 'tight' looking. It needs something to make it more polished. I am not sure if it is the layout or the font--something. Sorry my feedback is not very helpful. I will continue to think about this and revisit it. Try different layouts. See if that helps. You can always click back. Did you use a template? It does not look like any of the templates I remember from Blogspot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I made it clear, though, how much I like the concept and the content you used. Clever and appropriate. The look is my only concern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tim, Wow can I relate to your "tech support" dilemma! I have been on the phone with support a number of times. Over the years I have developed a list of questions for them though. As they only have a certain number of questions they can answer before sending you to a "tier two" support supervisor. The first question is "where are you?" and usually the answer is India. But I have been able more time than not to get through the communication phase.

    The tech support must be able not only to know the equipment but how to communicate to the client or customer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tim, I think the template that you are using from Blogspot is "Sand Dollar." It is a free-flowing template. You might follow Dr. Price's direction in choosing another template from the listings, you can still edit the fonts and colors to make it 'look' like this format.

    ReplyDelete